In today’s dynamic and diversified energy landscape, Nu:ionic Technologies is taking a new approach to meeting the growing need for sustainable and cost-effective clean energy and chemicals. Established in 2016 the company is reinventing gas conversion for a cleaner future. Developments to date include:
FOR A CLEANER FUTURE
- 2016 – provisional patents filed involving the use of microwave energy to accelerate and intensify chemical conversions of a variety of feedstock materials at industrial relevant scales
- Discussions underway with various funding sources
- Collaborative arrangements being explored with strategic partners concerning certain areas of Nu:ionic’s technology portfolio, in particular hydrogen production, direct coupling and emissions mitigation
- Pending – establishment of a development and engineering facility, where the company will work closely with partners to deploy Nu:ionic technology in the market and accelerate its commercial adoption
Nu:ionic makes use of microwave energy to allow on-site conversion of natural gas and renewable biogas into clean, zero emission fuel in the form of hydrogen. We offer unique alternatives to the wasteful practice of associated gas flaring, and our innovative hybrid hydrogen storage platform offers a high yield, low carbon storage mechanism for excess wind power.
Our patent-pending gas conversion technology is more sustainable because it:
- Increases process intensification
- Lowers system complexity
- Lowers carbon intensity
- Is more economical
- Delivers higher energy efficiency
In short, Nu:ionic’s breakthrough, small-scale gas reformers and conversion reactors are more efficient, simpler and more compact in design, and lower in cost than conventional technologies.
+ APPLICATION AREAS
Nu:ionic Technologies offers breakthrough solutions in the following application areas:
- On-site hydrogen production for industrial gas or fuel cell use
- Emission mitigation in flared gas and process heaters via selective gas conditioning
- Direct, non-oxidative coupling of methane for efficient production of light olefins from natural gas
+ ON-SITE, ON-DEMAND HYDROGEN
The Nu:ionic on-site, on-demand hydrogen production unit will utilize conventional feedstock (natural gas) and conventional chemistry (steam-methane reforming) in a ground-breaking new platform to lower the cost of on-site produced hydrogen with capacities ranging from 100 kg/day up to 15,000 kg/day of hydrogen.
Applications for Nu:ionic’s on-site hydrogen include:
- Hydrogen fuel for fuel-cell electric vehicles in the material handling, public transport or personal vehicle markets
- High purity hydrogen for the metal, float glass and electronics industries
- High purity hydrogen supply to the food industry
Benefits of the Nu:ionic on-site hydrogen include:
- Lower cost when compared to delivered hydrogen or competing on-site production technologies
- Lower carbon intensity, especially when combined with renewable electricity
The Nu:ionic On-site ’s process, using available pipeline natural gas, combines the efficiency and feedstock cost advantages of steam methane reforming into a simple and low capital cost solution. The process makes use of Nu:ionic’s proprietary reforming process which offers several advantages over conventional technologies.
Dr. Jan Boshoff brings 13 years industry experience in various technical and management roles within South African based multinational petrochemical company Sasol.
Sasol is a recognized world leader in the conversion of coal and natural gas into higher value synthetic fuels and petrochemicals, where Jan has served in a variety of technical and leadership roles overseeing the scale-up and commercialization of Sasol’s core gas conversion technologies, culminating in 5 years as site manager of a satellite gas-to-liquids pilot and demonstration facility contributing significantly to existing and planned gas-to-liquids projects. Jan holds a PhD in Chemical Engineering from the University of Delaware.
Co-founder Greg Caswell is a founding principal of Portland, Maine based Caswell Vlachos Group, a mergers and acquisitions advisory firm representing New England based companies across a range of industries.
Prior to CVG for 20+ years Greg was a commercial banker and led the successful turnaround of publicly traded First Coastal Corporation (Coastal Bank) of Portland, Maine, first as Senior Lending Officer and this as Chief Executive Officer, during his ten year tenure.
Dr. Jim Tranquilla has over 30 years experience directly related to technology development and commercialization, corporate management, academic and industrial R&D, consulting and senior project management specializing in the areas of new technology implementation, technology scale-up and strategic business development for commercial applications, particularly in the mineral and O&G resource sectors.
He is a recognized world leader in applied microwave technology and over the last 20 years has focused almost exclusively on the development of unique high power microwave plasma applications for reforming natural gas.
Nu:ionic Technologies LP
100 Commercial St, Suite 304, Portland, Maine
+1 207 558 5705
Nu:ionic Technologies (Canada) Inc
PO Box 3431, Stn B, Fredericton, New Brunswick
+1 207 558 5705